Wednesday, August 20, 2014

1987 AP English Exam Essays

Question 1

I would describe Eliot's view of old leisure as a normal day. My intro would be about how we all get into a routine in our lives and that's is what Eliot describes when he writes about leisure. The body of the essay would talk about what we perceive as leisure and what we perceive as work. I would also talk about how those who love their job never work a day in their life. My thesis would be this: What some people perceive as a stressful job, others could perceive as a leisurely activity. 

Question 2

For this essay I would choose "Grapes of Wrath" by John Steinbeck because it is the only book I have read on that list. I would talk about how Steinbeck promotes the immigrations of new people to new areas by showing the struggle they much overcome. Through ethos, he reveals how courageous the "Okies" had to be to travel all the way across the country to look for jobs only to be discriminated everywhere they went. My thesis would be: Through ethos and the revealing of courage, Steinbeck shows how he advocates the immigration of minorities to new areas. 

2 comments:

  1. 1. Your perspective for the first prompt is different and I would like to see how you would argue your opinion. My advice to you would be to use textual evidence to prove what you have to say and connect it in a way that the audience can relate to. Overall good starting point.
    2.I completely agree with your perspective and i would plan out to write that prompt the same way because I too am most familiar with grapes of wrath. Once again I would advice that you use many examples and also look at the way the author set up the character and compare the attitudes and values of the main character and compare it to the side characters to show the contrast in changing culture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1) I like how you relate his view of leisure as a day to day routine. Taking a different aspect to it is unique and a lot of people can relate to it. The only issue I could see happening is providing evidence or solid reason besides theoretical thought. Although, we did not write whole essay so we don't know how it would of turned out.
    2) "Grapes of Wrath" is a good classic to base your essay on. A lot of people have read it and can relate to it. I personally would have related to pathos(emotions) instead of ethos (a credible source). "Grapes of Wrath" shows extreme emotions that make the reader feel sympathetic for the characters in the novel. I think Steinbeck wanted people to feel the horrible experience of poverty in the novel so readers would be forced to confront the issue of poverty (just what I would of done). I like the thesis it is very straightforward and organized.

    ReplyDelete